Maureen Metcalf, Founder, CEO, and Board Chair of the Innovative Leadership Institute is a highly sought-after expert in anticipating and leveraging future business trends to transform organizations. She has captured her thirty years of experience and success in an award-winning series of books that are used by public, private and academic organizations to align company-wide strategy, systems and culture with innovative leadership techniques. She is also a regularly featured author for Forbes.com. As a preeminent change agent, Ms. Metcalf has set strategic direction and then transformed her client organizations to deliver significant business results such as increased profitability, cycle time reduction, improved quality, and increased employee effectiveness. For years, she has been willing to share her hard-won insights – through conference speaking, industry publications, radio talk-shows, and video presentations.
The Innovative Leadership Institute has a 20-year track record of delivering value to high-performing clients ranging from local Ohio small businesses to Fortune 15 organizations to the US Armed Forces. Client industry mainstays include technology, engineering, manufacturing, financial, and medical services. The Innovative Leadership Institute also has an international presence having been on-the-ground helping companies in the United Kingdom and Europe.
She is the host of Voice America international radio show focusing on innovative leadership, and the author of an award-winning book series on Innovative Leadership, including the Innovative Leaders Guide to Transforming Organizations, winner of a 2014 International Book Award. She also writes about leadership and organizational transformation for Forbes.com.
Maureen is a valued board member of a number of organizations. Before founding the Innovative Leadership Institute, she worked for PricewaterhouseCoopers and Accenture as a Senior Manage transforming organizations.
Innovative Leadership Transformation Consultant Areas of Expertise
- Business strategy development
- Leadership assessment and development
- Executive coaching & mentoring
- Culture transformation
- Organizational transformation consulting
- Large scale systems implementation (Enterprise Resource Planning/ERP)
- Succession planning
- Team and organizational assessment
View Maureen’s LinkedIn profile to read additional recommendations.
Innovative Leadership Transformation Consultant Accomplishments
- Ms. Metcalf founded and leads the Innovative Leadership Institute (formerly Metcalf & Associates, Inc), a successful management consulting firm that pioneered the creation of a groundbreaking approach to develop Innovative Leaders. The leadership development, executive advising, and coaching services enable leaders to enhance their skills as they transform their organizations to create sustainable business success. Maureen is the thought leader and primary force behind the service offerings.
- Developed multiple cohort-based leadership development programs for a broad range of organizations. Programs range in duration based on organization goals. All are delivered using a hybrid of in-person or Zoom classes, an online portal providing self-directed exercises and podcasts, and coaching. These programs are designed to build leadership skills and self-awareness. The technology programs are acknowledged by the creators, Ms. Metcalf and her colleague Mr. Sayre being recognized as Tech Power Players in 2018 and 2019.
- Facilitated strategic planning programs including redesigned the performance management process to align with the revised strategic direction for the US arm of a global manufacturing company. CEO reported planning sessions were highly effective and provided the foundation for future success. Facilitated similar sessions for a broad range of clients including global technology and media companies with similar results.
- Coached Executive Director and led consulting work that facilitated not-for-profit health care organization to navigate in-sourcing of primary services, increased staff by 300%, decreased overall cost structure by 35%, designed and developed infrastructure, reduced process risk, facilitated guiding principle development to shape the culture, translated annual planning information into measurable goals and action plans, developed Board reporting processes, developed succession plans, documented and recommended improvements to business processes. Coached the Executive Director to increase his effectiveness during this time as measured by his development scores that increased in a statistically significant manner and his ability to add a significant service line to better serve the mission.
- As an adjunct faculty member in the Capital University MBA program, Ms. Metcalf developed programs and taught High Impact Leadership and Organizational Transformation. These courses were designed to teach participants to transform themselves and their organizations. An example of results include a student from a global manufacturing firm redefined 5 business processes as a class project with the following results: reduced 2 hours of work times 3 associates for a total of 6 hours per day; overall process time reduction from 20 days to 5 days; improved management reporting; 2 people promoted. Other organizations also showed similar results.
- As Board President of a Non-Profit Nature Preserve, led a transition from an unsustainable business model to one that is financially stable and sustainable long term. Expanded the board to include a broad range of necessary skills and create opportunities for local business leaders to expand their skills through board experience. Developed vision and guided the transition. Expanded community awareness and involvement. Successfully divested unprofitable retreat center. Developed a business model to meet community needs. After running the organization for seven years, merged with a larger nature preserve to ensure long term sustainability.
- Led company transformation including coaching the CEO, restructuring the company, launching a new subsidiary, documenting processes and refining key processes to implement technology upgrades to drive increased process efficiencies, improved customer service and increased overall profitability. This company was a family-owned business. During the process, transitioning from second to the third generation. This company subsequently had a very successful exit.
- Managed the change management efforts for multiple ERP implementations at large multinational manufacturing and distribution companies. Planned the change management projects; tailored tools; coached project leadership to effectively lead change; conducted team effectiveness interventions among the project team; developed high-level process flows; developed and tracked metrics for high impact processes; identified highest impact change positions and implemented preliminary job changes prior to system launch; facilitated job change workshops; planned overall project communication; developed knowledge transfer approach; created change management tool kit to allow internal resources to perform site roll-out. Initial sites were successfully implemented and the client picked up change responsibilities. Change activities completed on time and under budget and post-system support reduced at sites using change management tools.
Selected Education, Training, and Certifications
- Masters of Business Administration, VIRGINIA POLYTECHNIC INSTITUTE
- Bachelor of Science in Economics, JAMES MADISON UNIVERSITY
- Deep Coaching Practitioner (Includes Presence-Based Coaching and Enneagram Coaching)– Deep Coaching Institute – Certified by International Coaching Federation and International Enneagram Association
- Ecosynomics/Organizational Vibrancy Assessment and Agreements Mapping – Levels I & II
- Generating Transformative Change in Human Systems (GTC) – Leadership Institute of Seattle / Bastyr University and Pacific Integral
- Leadership Development Profile (LDP/MAP) – Harthill USA – Susann Cook-Greuter
- Immunities to Change Process – Kegan and Lahey
- The Leadership Circle Profile™
- Spiral Dynamics I, II and MacroMemetics – Spiral Dynamics Integral
- Deep Change Spiritual Intelligence Coach (certified in spiritual intelligence assessment – SQ21)