Mike Sayre, President, Chief Operating Officer and organizational transformation practice lead, has been a successful CEO, COO, CFO and board director for multiple organizations in technology (cybersecurity, ecommerce payments processing and engineered computer products) and manufacturing (electronics and steel products). He shares his expertise with client boards and C-Level leaders, and advises, designs, plans, and oversees the implementation of successful strategies for turnarounds, growth, profitability and sustainability.
Mike brings 25+ years of organizational and business leadership and hands-on implementation experience to his clients. His teams have achieved significant increases in growth, profitability and valuation, as well as shareholder, customer, supplier and employee engagement and satisfaction. Mike led:
- strategic, cultural, operational and financial turnarounds,
- organic growth,
- growth by domestic and international acquisition and expansion,
- pre-revenue start-ups, and
- division divestitures and company exits.
Innovative Leadership Transformation Areas of Expertise
- Board and Executive Advisory Services
- Business Strategy Development and Implementation
- Leadership Selection and Development
- Business Growth and Scaling – Processes and People
- Cultural Transformation and Change Management
- Mergers, Acquisitions and Divestitures
View Mike’s LinkedIn profile to read additional recommendations.
Sample Innovative Leadership Transformation Accomplishments
Following an executive advisory role, as President & COO for a global ecommerce payments processor, Mike led cultural, operational and financial turnarounds resulting in:
- a company transformation that resulted in over a 3X realized valuation increase in less than two years,
- process and cost structure improvements that supported 25% average annual transaction volume growth and ultimately resulted in over 8X growth in annual EBITDA,
- the implementation of agile software development that engaged IT with the rest of the business and resulted in a 3X increase in IT productivity, and
- cultural change breaking down departmental silos, improving communications, improving teamwork and driving continuous process improvement across the organization, as well as the above performance and financial results.
As President & CEO for an electronic manufacturing services provider, Mike led strategic, cultural, operational and financial turnarounds resulting in:
- record profits,
- a 40% improvement in quality and service metrics,
- consolidated operations and a $2MM reduction in annual operating costs,
- the implementation of 5S and Lean Manufacturing that further improved the cost structure and overall attractiveness of the operations in winning new business,
- a 75% reduction in bank debt,
- a capital raise to fund global expansion,
- the addition of operations in Europe (acquisition) and Asia (start-up), and
- a reversal of the decline in the depot repair business followed by 20% annual growth.
As the top accounting officer for a $2B diversified international manufacturing and publicly-held corporation, Mike led the transformation of the corporate-wide financial organization from back office support to front office business partner in addition to:
- improved the efficiency and effectiveness of 36 plant controllers and their teams, as well as the Corporate financial group, by leading projects to update financial reporting with state-of-the-art financial reporting, analysis and consolidation systems as well as implementing Activity-Based Costing,
- initiated and led a Controller-in-Training program that provided the top financial leaders in 11 manufacturing facilities in a 5-year period, including 3 start-up plants representing over $500M in capital investments
- secured a $500K profit for the company by personally selling the first of 7 divestitures in a program to shed non-core businesses
- saved the company $400K in receivables write-offs by recognizing and taking quick and decisive action in an out-of-court bankruptcy situation with a major customer across multiple Worthington businesses
- provided board services and mentored leaders in a steel processing start-up joint venture with a major flat-rolled steel producer
Selected Education, Training, and Certifications
- Masters of Business Administration, THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Science and Accounting, THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY
- Institute of Corporate Financial Management, UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN
- Leadership Training with Metcalf & Associates, CoachCarruthers, Built2Lead, Worthington Industries and Dale Carnegie
For more details, please go to www.linkedin.com/in/mikesayre.