This blog is a guest post by Mark Palmer as a companion to the November, 13 Voice America show interview with Mr. Palmer, Managing Partner, Hire-Directions and Principal, Innovative Leadership Institute. The interview focuses on the Position Success Indicator assessment to help hone find where they fit professionally.
THE FUTURE OF WORK IS HERE
The future of work is already here: the gig economy, automation, and artificial intelligence. These trends are part of a growing narrative that suggest an increasingly complex and unpredictable workforce.
Studies indicate that by 2025, the global population will reach nearly 10 billion people, with only 15% of that population living and working in high-income economies. In fact, according to a recent Oxford Study, it’s predicted that 47% of jobs will disappear in the next 25 years.
NEW PROFESSIONAL CHALLENGES ARE COMING…ARE YOU READY?
Workforce disruptions already force you to make employment decisions faster, smarter, and more often than any previous generation of professionals. Consequently, the coming era of work will produce thrivers, strivers, and survivors.
To thrive in this future workforce—and to navigate new realities while staying authentic to your dreams and interests—you will need a better way to prepare, respond, and adapt to a constant stream of occupational change.
YOU WILL NEED OCCUPATIONAL FITNESS
Two-thirds of your adult waking life will be spent creating and maintaining a livelihood. Your ability to make quality professional decisions, quickly and consistently, is more critical than ever.
This ability to adapt and intelligently respond to new professional situations will require occupational fitness: the capacity to quickly identify the right opportunities, communicate how you add value, and consistently choose ventures that align with your strengths and competencies.
BREAKTHROUGH TECHNOLOGY: “TALENT DNA” TESTING
“Quantified self”, or life-logging technology, has transformed the way we maximize physical fitness. If you’ve used an activity tracker or a DNA kit, you’re already familiar with how “quantified self” can be used to improve wellness goals.
Using a new breakthrough called “talent DNA” sequencing, this “quantified self” technology can now be applied to support professional wellness, too. It builds on current life-logging advancements to accelerate occupational fitness, and can be used to enhance job matching and career mapping.
POSITION SUCCESS INDICATOR (PSI): GET YOUR UNIQUE TALENT CODE
Every person has a unique “talent DNA” code, or occupational talent signature made of  quantifiable performance markers. These markers correlate with specific job requirements used by organizations to build roles.
The Position Success Indicator (PSI) reveals key professional knowledge—based on your exclusive “talent DNA”—that can be used to match you to the right jobs, build resumes, setup interview strategies, uncover career advancement opportunities, and enhance your networking capability.
We encourage you to take the PSI assessment. You get free overview results and can purchase more detailed report. You can use the results of your report to take the actions recommended below and also use them when you listen to the interview with Mark.
PROFESSIONAL SUCCESS PLANS: PUT YOUR PSI RESULTS TO WORK
PSI reveals how you ideally fit an organization’s goals, team projects, and job requirements. You get precise, custom language needed to communicate YOUR unique value in ways that will speak to executives, clients, and venture partners.
Once you take the free assessment, maximize your results—combined with the Professional and Interview Success Plans—in two (2) simple steps:
STEP 1: IDENTIFY YOUR FIT
Use the plans to identify your operational strengths and fit with common organizational goals, projects, and job roles:
- Trace your universal job fit using the world’s only position requirements blueprint used to design ALL jobs (Professional Success Plan, Alignment Plan)
- Locate your operational impact points (Alignment Plan highlighted strengths)
- Identify your high level fit – best fit with organization needs (Professional Success Plan, Org Fit Map)
- Identify your detailed level fit – best fit with specific job functions (Professional Success Plan, Alignment Plan, Jobs Matrix, Requirements Insert)
- Pinpoint your “thrive zones” – fit with key performance objectives, where you will be most successful in jobs and career development (and understand where you WON’T)
STEP 2: COMMUNICATE YOUR VALUE
Utilize the free results and plans to enhance your professional CV, resume, social media, and live interactions:
- Use the Professional Summary (your free professional brand statement):
- as an opening for professional social media, CV, and resume descriptions
- to create a 30-second networking “pitch” (don’t just network, FIT-work!)
- as a companion to your custom interviewing strategy (Interview Success Plan)
- Use the Requirements Insert in the Professional Success Plan to summarize your value (your strengths converted to an organizational grade “job description”):
- submit this insert with your resume, and stand out in interviews and job fairs
- use with recruiters and hiring managers to assess fit for new jobs or performance reviews
- use in cover letter style emails used in conjunction with job applications
- get the right wording to communicate with executives or project stakeholders to articulate where you fit and add value
WORKFORCE TALENT GENOME PROJECT: BE PART OF SOMETHING BIGGER
Our talent coding technology gives you the opportunity to personally make a difference in improving the future workforce by participating in a new kind of research—online, from anywhere.
By taking PSI, you are contributing your unique “talent DNA”, thereby helping to build the world’s first generation talent genome library.
This global “talent DNA” data repository will be used to enhance future workforce readiness, and to improve job design, job matching and recruiting. It will also optimize merit-based diversity, and protect workers everywhere from displacements caused by increasing job and market disruptions.
Check out the companion interview and past episodes of Innovating Leadership, Co-creating Our Future, via iTunes, TuneIn, Stitcher, Spotify, Amazon Music, Audible, iHeartRADIO, and NPR One. Stay up-to-date on new shows airing by following the Innovative Leadership Institute LinkedIn.
Mark Palmer is co-creator of the Position Success Indicator; The Job Fit Calculator; and LaborGenome™ Talent Mapping technology.
He is co-author of the Innovative Leader Fieldbook, and senior editor for the Innovative Leadership Guide to Transforming Organizations. Mark is also a consultant, and Principal and Advisor with the Innovative Leadership Institute., a management consulting firm offering progressive leadership development, team building and organizational effectiveness. He was also a TEDx OSU Speaker in 2012.