Guest: Tara McGowan
Season: 9 Episode: 13
Misinformation and disinformation have become the lifeblood of social media – even some cable channels hungry for ratings. But, as a leader, you need hard facts and straight information.
How did we get here, and what can you do to find the good data your decisions need? Tara McGowan, founder and publisher of Courier Newsroom, notes that propaganda and disinformation have always existed…but social media’s algorithms have amplified it exponentially, creating hard echo chambers that can be hard for truth to get through. And, she says, that puts not just your business at risk, but democracy itself. Fortunately, she has some solutions!
Here’s what Tara and host Maureen Metcalf cover:
- How social media algorithms work – and revolutionized the spread of misinformation;
- Ways leaders can recognize disinformation and halt its spread; and
- 3) Simple steps we can all take to be media literate.
Other episodes you’ll enjoy:
- You Are Enough, You Are Worthy: Leadership Lessons for Women with Besty Myers
- – Hot Topics: A Prime Minister’s Perspective with Kim Campbell
- – Democracy: Are We a Brittle Twig or Supple Bamboo? with Matt Qvortrup
Topics:Research, Technology & Leadership, Women in Leadership, Workforce Development
Disinformation, Media Accuracy, Media Literacy, Echo Chambers